Monday 24 October 2011

PUT A LID ON IT!

In the second lecture we were asked to bring loads of materials like brown paper, masking tape, post-its and markers etc and with this mixture of materials we had the brief to make a hat. I know it might sound silly, making a hat out of paper and card but it is all about the process and how we chose the materials to represent ourselves and what goes on in our head and our creative process. This was very much based on Thomas Hirschhorn's "Walking In My Mind"


"Thomas Hirschhorn describes his sculptural environments as 'collages in the third dimension' and explains that this means 'putting things together that are not meant to be put together'. Created from the most basic everyday materials, his monumental works are concerned with issues of justice and injustice, power and powerlessness, and moral responsibility.
"To me, the cave is in your brain, the cave is in your mind... You have to build this cave in your mind and to struggle with what happens in this cave, in confronting it with the world."

I drew a really quick sketch of how I wanted my hat to eventually look, just to give me some sort of image to work for.



I proceeded to cut and draw and make lists (like I always do!!) and this is what I came up with


No comments:

Post a Comment